Lomonosov Moscow State University, often referred to as MSU, is one of Russia’s most prestigious and oldest educational institutions. It was founded on January 25, 1755, by Mikhail Lomonosov, a polymath and a key figure of the Russian Enlightenment. The University of MSU is located in the capital city of Russia.
- Founded: January 25, 1755
- Location: Moscow, Russia
- Total Student: 36,993
- Founder: Mikhail Lomonosov
- Campus: Sparrow Hills (Vorobyovy Gory)
- Academic Programs: Wide range of disciplines
- Research Focus: Natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, engineering
- Notable Achievements: Produced Nobel laureates and renowned researchers
- International Collaboration: Engages in global academic partnerships
- Student Life: Diverse student organizations and activities
- Alumni: Notable figures in science, politics, literature, and the arts
About Lomonosov Moscow State University
The university includes 15 research institutes, 43 faculties, more than 300 departments, and six branches. The alumni of the university include past leaders of the Soviet Union and other governments.
As mentioned, MSU was established in the mid-18th century by Mikhail Lomonosov. It has a rich history and has played a significant role in the development of Russian science, education, and culture.
MSU is renowned for its academic excellence and has consistently ranked among the top universities globally. It offers a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs across various disciplines, including natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, engineering, and more.
The main campus of MSU is located on Sparrow Hills (Vorobyovy Gory) overlooking the Moskva River. The university campus features a blend of historical and modern buildings, libraries, laboratories, sports facilities, and green spaces.
The university boasts a distinguished faculty, including many notable scientists, scholars, and experts in their respective fields. Over the years, MSU has produced numerous Nobel laureates and other award-winning researchers.
MSU is recognized for its contributions to scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, and space science. It has various research institutes, centers, and laboratories that contribute to cutting-edge advancements.
The university actively collaborates with other international institutions, fostering academic exchange, joint research projects, and collaborative programs. This has helped MSU maintain its global standing in academia.
MSU holds cultural significance in Russia and has been an important hub for intellectual and cultural activities. Its campus, architecture, and historical legacy contribute to the cultural heritage of Moscow.
With a large student body, MSU offers a vibrant and diverse student life. The university hosts various student clubs, organizations, events, and cultural activities.
The university has a notable list of alumni who have excelled in various fields, including science, politics, literature, and the arts. These alumni have made significant contributions both nationally and internationally.
- Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Biology
- Faculty of Soil Science
- Faculty of Geography
- Faculty of Materials Science
- Faculty of Computational Mathematics and Cybernetics
- Faculty of Philosophy
- Faculty of History
- Faculty of Philology
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Journalism
- Faculty of Psychology
- Faculty of Sociology
- Faculty of Foreign Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty of Public Administration
- Faculty of Global Studies
- Faculty of World Politics
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Fine Arts
- Faculty of Bioengineering and Bioinformatics
- Faculty of Fundamental Medicine
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Chemistry (Lomonosov Chemistry and Technology Institute)
Popular Major At Lomonosov Moscow State University
- Computer Science
- International Relations
- Political Science
- Fine Arts
Rankings & Ratings
QS World University Rankings: #=87
International tuition: 325,000 RUB
Phone: +7 495 939-33-98
Official Website: https://www.msu.ru
Address: Ulitsa Kolmogorova, 1, Moscow, Russia, 119991
Discover More Universities:
- The World’s Top Universities
- List Of Best Colleges In The World
- World’s Best Schools List
- Top Universities in Japan
- Top Universities in the UK
- Top Universities in China
- Top Universities in the USA
FAQs (People Also Ask)
When was Lomonosov Moscow State University founded?
Lomonosov Moscow State University was founded on January 25, 1755.
Where is Lomonosov Moscow State University located?
The university is located in Moscow, Russia. Its main campus is situated on Sparrow Hills (Vorobyovy Gory), offering scenic views of the Moskva River.
Who founded Lomonosov Moscow State University?
The university was founded by Mikhail Lomonosov, a prominent Russian scientist, polymath, and key figure of the Russian Enlightenment.
How does Lomonosov Moscow State University rank globally?
Lomonosov Moscow State University is consistently ranked among the top universities globally, known for its academic excellence and research contributions.
Does Lomonosov Moscow State University have notable alumni?
Yes, the university has produced notable alumni in various fields, including science, politics, literature, and the arts. Some alumni have made significant contributions on both national and international levels.
Visit Related Universities:
- South Ural State University
- Tomsk Polytechnic University
- Peoples Friendship University of Russia
- Kazan Federal University
- Tomsk State University
- Novosibirsk State University
- Saint Petersburg State University
- Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology