Seattle Pacific University was established in 1891, as a private Christian university in Seattle, Washington. It materialized in a meeting with the Oregon and Washington Conference of the Free Methodist Church as the Seattle Seminary. SPU faculty and students symbolize more than 50 different Christian denominations.
The University of Washington Seattle is located on a 43-acre city campus on the north slope of Queen Anne Hill. It is only 10 minutes away from the heart of downtown Seattle. The University holds and operates a wilderness campus and also a field station on Blakely Island. It has a seaside retreat facility on Whidbey Island.
Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, Washington Overview
It is a private Christian liberal arts university in Seattle. Seattle University is fully committed to changing the world by graduating people of character, making them people of wisdom, and modeling an ideal community.
It is admitted by U.S. News & World Report for its full range of undergraduate and graduate programs in more than 170 majors and its commitment to innovative research. The Seattle Washington University ranking is #219 in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Colleges and National Universities. It is among the best universities in the nation.
Washington Pacific University was founded to train missionaries for overseas service by Free Methodist pioneers.
- It became Seattle Seminary in 1891.
- In 1913 named Seattle Seminary and College.
- Seattle Pacific College or Seattle Pacific Christian College in 1915.
- It became Seattle Pacific University in 1977.
Fast Facts About Washington Seattle University
- Total Enrollment: 3,114
- Undergraduate Programs Enrollment: 2,428
- Post-Baccalaureate programs Enrollment: 33
- Graduate Programs Enrollment: 653
- Pacific University offers 70 Undergraduate majors, 67 Undergraduate minors, 26 Master’s degree programs, 05 Doctoral degree programs, and 14 Graduate certificates.
- Student’s average age at SPU: 20 Undergraduate, 33 Post-baccalaureate, 33 Master’s, and 34 Doctoral
- Student’s Gender Ratio: 31% Men and 69% Women.
- Student Faculty Ratio: 12:1 ( it is based on the Common Data Set definition)
- Academic Disciplines are divided into one college and five schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, Government, and Economics, School of Education, School of Health Sciences, School of Psychology, Family and Community, and School of Theology.
- Seattle University of Washington Medical Center is rated the number one hospital in Washington by the U.S. News & World Report.
Popular Undergraduate Programs
- Applied Human Biology
- Business Administration
- Computer Science
- Exercise Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Integrated Studies
Student’s Life At Pacific University
Students at Seattle Pacific University take part in life-changing events, a diverse community with booming dorm life, intramurals, student clubs, organizations, and sports clubs, and is home to 13 NCAA II teams. Students can join over 60 clubs through ASSP clubs: arts, leadership, volunteering, philanthropy, etc. It provides an athletics arena where student-athletes are guided toward excellence in physical performance. SPU provides leadership through the integration of Christian principles and values while participating in intercollegiate sports at the highest possible level.
Pacific University Famous Alumni
The University produced many notable alumni: Brian Fennell ’06, Songwriter in SYML and Barcelona, Timothy Beal ’86, Florence Harkness Professor of Religion at Case Western Reserve University, Ken Bone ’82, former basketball coach at Washington State University, Jim Cornelison ’86, national anthem singer for Chicago Blackhawks, Jake DeShazer, Doolittle raider, missionary to Japan, Gordon Fee, distinguished professor of the New Testament, biblical scholar, textual critic, and more.
SPU International Students Admission Requirements
We are proud to include a vibrant international population. Currently, we have about 140 undergraduate and 50 graduate students representing 52 foreign countries. International students are always inspired to apply to graduate studies at SPU. The University requires minimum English proficiency test scores for general undergraduate admission to SPU as follows:
- TOEFL (paper-based): 550
- TOEFL (internet-based): 79
- IELTS overall band score: 6.5
- PTE Academic Score: 56
- EIKEN: Pre-level 1
- Duolingo: 105
- INTERLINK Language Center: Completion of level 6 with a full recommendation
General Q&A Questions
Is Duolingo accepted instead of IELTS?
Yes! Duolingo is now accepted by different foreign universities.
What is SPU Acceptance Rate?
SPU’s acceptance rate is 90.9%.
What GPA is required for Seattle Pacific University?
It required complete transcripts from any university or college. A minimum of 3.0 GPA or better to enroll at SPU.
You may also search for East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania