Pikachu is a fictional species of creature known as a “Pocket Monster” or “Pokémon.” It was created by the Japanese video game designer Satoshi Tajiri and developed by Game Freak. Pikachu is one of the original and most iconic Pokémon species and serves as the franchise’s mascot.
Pikachu General Characteristics & Facts
- Species: Pikachu is known as the “Mouse Pokémon” and is part of the Electric-type category.
- Appearance: Pikachu is a small, yellow rodent-like creature with large, black-tipped pointed ears, brown eyes, rosy red cheeks, and a long, lightning-shaped tail. It has a round and chubby body, making it look adorable to many fans.
- Electric Pouches: The red cheeks of Pikachu can store and generate electricity. When it becomes excited or agitated, it releases small electrical discharges.
- Pre evolution: Pikachu evolves from a Pichu when leveled up with high friendship. Pichu is an even smaller, baby-like form of Pikachu.
- Evolution: In the Alola region, there is also a special variant called “Alolan Raichu,” which is Electric/Psychic-type and evolves from Pikachu when exposed to a Thunder Stone in the Alola region.
- Popularity: Pikachu is not only one of the most recognized Pokémon but also serves as the franchise’s mascot. Its popularity skyrocketed with the success of the Pokémon animated TV series.
- Ash’s Companion: In the Pokémon animated series, Pikachu is the constant companion of the main protagonist, Ash Ketchum. Their strong bond and friendship are central to the show’s theme.
- Signature Move: Pikachu’s iconic and powerful move is “Thunderbolt,” which unleashes a strong electrical attack on its opponents.
- Anime Cry: Pikachu’s distinctive vocalization in the anime sounds like “Pika Pika” or “Pika Chu,” from which its name is derived.
- Pokédex Number: In the National Pokédex, Pikachu is number #025, making it one of the original 151 Pokémon.
- Events: Pikachu has been featured in numerous special events, promotions, and collaborations, making it even more popular among fans.
- Electric Rodent Pokémon: Pikachu, along with its evolutions, Raichu and Alolan Raichu, belong to a group of Electric-type Pokémon referred to as “Electric Rodent Pokémon” due to their rodent-like appearance and Electric-type attributes.
- Detective Pikachu: In 2019, a live-action/CGI film titled “Pokémon Detective Pikachu” was released, featuring a wise-cracking Pikachu who can speak English. It was a commercial success and further boosted Pikachu’s popularity.
- Parades and Celebrations: Pikachu is often featured in various Pokémon-themed parades and celebrations around the world.
Physical Characteristics Pikachu
- Yellow Fur: Pikachu is covered in bright yellow fur, which is one of its most defining features. The yellow coloration is consistent across all Pikachu individuals.
- Ears: It has large, pointed ears with black tips. These ears are quite expressive and can move in response to its emotions.
- Cheeks: Pikachu’s rosy red cheeks are another iconic feature. These cheek pouches store and generate electricity, and the redness intensifies when it is ready to release an electrical attack.
- Eyes: Pikachu has round, brown eyes that appear friendly and approachable.
- Facial Expression: Its facial expression often conveys its emotions, ranging from happiness and excitement to curiosity and determination.
- Tail: The long, lightning-shaped tail is another essential aspect of Pikachu’s appearance. The tail acts as a conductor for its electric abilities.
- Body: Pikachu has a round and chubby body, giving it a cute and huggable appearance.
- Height and Size: In the Pokémon universe, Pikachu is relatively small compared to many other Pokémon species. It stands at an average height of about 1 foot 4 inches (40 centimeters) and weighs around 13.2 pounds (6 kilograms).
- Gender Differences: In the games, Pikachu’s gender can be distinguished by certain subtle differences in the shape of its tail. Female Pikachu have a slightly indent-shaped notch at the end of their tails, while male Pikachu’s tails are straight.
- Pika Cry: In the animated series and games, Pikachu’s cry is a distinctive sound that sounds like “Pika Pika” or “Pika Chu.”
Continue To Explore All Animals That Start With P
Scientific Classification of Pikachu
Species: Oryctolagus cuniculus (domestic rabbit)
Key Locations of Pikachu
- Viridian Forest
- Power Plant
- Safari Zone
- Pokémon Village
- Route 11 (Kanto region)
- Pallet Town (Ash Ketchum’s hometown)
- Santalune Forest (Kalos region)
- Pikachu Valley (Alola region)
- Cerulean City (Misty’s Gym location)
- Pokémon Research Lab (Professor Oak’s Lab)
View All A-Z Animals List
What does Pikachu eat?
- Poffin House Treats