“Quarter” has multiple meanings as a noun:
- One of four equal parts into which something can be divided, representing 1/4 or 25% of the whole.
- A unit of currency, such as a quarter dollar, which is worth 25 cents.
- A period of three months, often used in financial or academic contexts.
The word “quarter” has its origins in the Latin word “quadrans,” which means “a fourth part.” It came into Middle English from the Old French word “quartier.”
- For a division into four equal parts: fourth, quadrant, one-fourth, 25%
- For a unit of currency: twenty-five cents, 25 cents
- For a three-month period: trimester
- For a specific area within a city: district, neighborhood
- She inherited a quarter of her grandfather’s estate, giving her ownership of a significant portion of his property.
- The company’s financial report showed a profit of one million dollars for the last quarter.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How long is a quarter in terms of time?
A quarter represents a period of three months or approximately 13 weeks. In a calendar year, there are four quarters: January to March (Q1), April to June (Q2), July to September (Q3), and October to December (Q4).
What is the significance of financial quarters?
Financial quarters are used by businesses to report financial performance and earnings. By dividing the year into quarters, companies can track and analyze their financial data regularly and make informed decisions based on their performance over shorter periods.
Is a quarter dollar still in circulation?
Yes, the quarter dollar, also known as a quarter, is still in circulation in the United States and other countries that use the U.S. dollar as their currency.
What are some common uses of the term “quarter” in everyday language?
Besides its financial and temporal meanings, “quarter” is often used in phrases like “quarter past” (15 minutes after the hour), “quarter to” (15 minutes before the hour), and “to give no quarter” (to show no mercy or leniency).
What is a “quarterback” in American football?
A “quarterback” is a position in American football, typically the player responsible for leading the offensive team, calling plays, and throwing passes.
Explore A-Z Nouns List: